Friday, August 6, 2010

Come to me and I will give you rest...

Oh Lord, do I need some rest... this past Spring when Geoff and I decided to put the kids in full time daycare for the summer, I thought we were killing two birds with one stone.  We agreed that it would be better for Graham to have a consistent schedule through the summer since transitions weren't his strong suit--and-- if I kept my work schedules the same, I would have a little down time. I was looking forward to afternoons at home (between jobs, mind you) to snooze on the couch, do a load of laundry or frankly nothing at all! The first week of June for me was just that... I did a whole lot of nothing in the afternoons.  I was tweaking my workout schedule (increasing it... not decreasing it), focusing on my health and fitness-- the summer was going to be a time of rest. Can I get an "AMEN"??? 

It was the second week of June when I was told by two different practioners that Graham needed, at a minimum, private speech therapy or even better, ABA Therapy. Looking back, I'm sure I didn't understand the gravity of what that meant. Had I realized what the following 8 weeks of my summer would turn into, I'm not sure I would have leaped into it.  Quickly, I found that instead of R&R, I was calling insurance companies researching CPT codes... weighing the pros and cons of a PDD diagnosis in the insurance system vs. Graham getting the therapy he needs vs. paying for the $1,300/month therapy out of pocket.  No rest for the weary... especially not this mother. My life became a series of trade offs-- pick up Little Cesears for dinner or whip up something from scratch... fold the laundry that's been sitting in the dryer vs. just dress the kids in the laundry room... stop for gas on the way home when I know I'm on fumes vs. praying I can make it into the garage so I can hit the hay after a 12 hr day of meetings, conference calls, appointments for Graham. Looking back though... I don't regret making those trade offs.  The Lord has showed me over the last couple of years that not only was it ok to make those concessions, but that if I didn't, I would have nothing left to give. 

Graham is in his second week of ABA Therapy with Teach Me, LLC. He's doing so well... I'm so proud of him-- and I feel like all the wrestling, grieving, praying, seeking over the last 8 weeks is beginning to bear fruit. I am encouraged, filled with the kind of joy Isaiah 60:5 talks about. You just can't beat that...

And... in about 12 hours, I'm starting a much needed vacation to a place of refuge for me.  Colorado... here I come.  I covet your prayers for my family this week... we need the rest.

No comments: